9.30.2007

Persephone

I once visited your lake shore home
by the sea of fire, when I was known
as a king of man and a good friend
to that wretch you call a husband.

Like Agamemnon and his horse of wood
as a statue to courage for where it stood,
I accomplished what they said could not,
that of a companion, a kinship begot.

But in that same spring, he became
a conspirator with another by name,
one I dare not speak out of fear
because Helios can even watch here.

He snatched you from mother's grasp
and gave the living a wrath in vast
by bringing forth his death's season,
mistaking love for lust his only reason.

On all fours you scrub his citadel,
and clean the walls, and all he tells,
and all the floors and his daily chores,
and all the while he just ignores.

And you dare not speak before he,
his temper reigns, and will ever be,
only you and the dog know how that feels,
because I know all his love Minthe steals.

No comments: