8.03.2007

The Engine

Back behind the park I walked the tracks,
but off in the distance I saw the smoke stacks,
and I could hear the sound of the coming train,
this time would be different, this time I remained.
Despite my shouts before, it had always passed by,
but as the train neared, it could see into my eyes,
the roaring engine slowed, then the wheels stood still,
and my boarding that enchanted train soon became real.
I rode the train for years, preparing for the ride,
I looked on in content as the world flew on by,
sometimes the track circled, but the destination stayed,
our course for the station drew near despite the delay.
Eventually the locomotive grew weary from the race,
it regretted its baggage and cargo, and slowed its pace,
after all, the engine could work less without the cars,
but now with me aboard, it would never make it far.
It detached from the rest, and abandoned the tracks,
it left no warning, no goodbyes, and no looking back,
I was scared at first, but then anger later came,
so then I shouted, but nothing would ever be the same.
I remained on course, but thought I would soon stop,
but the only thing that stopped that day was my watch,
the train kept on going, and so I looked on outside,
I passed the station, the place that became a lie.
The train began to turn, and so I prayed it would derail,
if only I hadn't boarded, then the train could never fail,
though the cars are old and gray, the engine had a grace,
now I can only hope that the engine can find its place.

No comments: